Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pilot episodes of The Office & 30 Rock

Last year at this date, I didn't knew that there were two comedy series by the names of The Office & 30 Rock. In the last 6 months, I've read a lot of praise for these two series. One of my friends got the dvds for these shows, so finally I've decided to watch these comedies from today.

After watching the pilot episodes, these are my initial thoughts & reactions about these.


In The Office, we follow the chronicles of people working in a fictional company by the name Dunder Mifflin Paper Company.

It is like one of these cluttered govt offices where people are so bored. They appear kind of content but not content. You know what I mean. I am introduced to some of the key characters neatly such as Michael Scott (Steve Carell), Jim Halpert (John Krasinski), Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson), Pam Halpert (Jenna Fischer), etc,. All of them looked really good in their characters. Steve Carell was sometimes funny but mostly I felt his character was kind of irritating & slightly lunatic. I wanted to throw paper weight on his head after his practical joke on Jenna but that is the reaction they wanted from audience I suppose. It would be interesting to see how these characters are going to develop in my view. Especially Carell's after that irritating sketch in this episode.

The title music is good. But the thing that surprised me was that all through the episode there wasn't any background score and the effect was amazing. With the cramped settings, camera positions & zero background score, I literally felt like suffocating. So that part of showcasing the mood of the office is very well done.

The writing is good. All in all an interesting start & looking forward to complete the season 1. But I'm surprised that it has only 6 episodes.


For a change, instead of wrtiting about this after watching the episode, I will write wahtever I thought as I was watching this.

Before watching 30 Rock the question in my mind was, How much can I relate to 30 Rock because in India we don't have any live sketch comedy series at all. It would be interesting if anyone starts something like Saturday Night Live here. In fact until Fey's imitations of Palin (which I probably saw a thousand times), I myself didn't knew anything about SNL.

For me the best thing about deciding to watch 30 Rock is obviously Tina Fey. No other comedienne's sight brings a smile to me as her's. I thoroughly enjoyed Date Night my only regret being she should have wrote it.

30 Rock is about all the people involved in a fictitious comedy sketch show called as The Girly Show. We see the behind-the-scenes happenings of all the actors & technicians involved with The Girly Show.

Title song was decent not great. Tina Fey attacks as soon as the program starts. That first scene (hotdogs) is good. Introduces me to some of the important characters. All the casting looks good. Alec Baldwin was really great in his intro scene. I think there are going to be a lot of fights between Fey & Baldwin. Tracy Morgan was fantastic in his role. His intro hotel scene was hilarious. Great mannerisms. Tina Fey dancing on the podium :) Just 2 weeks ago I saw her do a pole dance with Steve Carell. Looking forward to see some magic from Kenneth Parcell & Jane Krakowski in future episodes.

Writing is good but good is not enough for Fey. I'm expecting great from the future episodes. Overall another interesting pilot episode.

Both The Office & 30 Rock deals with showing people in a work place but with completely different backgrounds and fields. It would be interesting to see which one would I like the most by the end.

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment